Child Support Orders & Enforcement

/Child Support Orders & Enforcement
Child Support Orders & Enforcement 2018-01-26T11:44:21+00:00


When the parents of a child part ways, there are a number of issues that are generally brought before the Court, ranging from alimony to the division of marital property. However, the well-being of the child remains of the utmost importance and should be paid careful consideration by all parties involved. To ensure the continued development of the child or children in question, the Court will generally declare a certain amount of child support be paid on a monthly basis by the designated party, often referred to in legal proceedings as the “obligor.”

If you are seeking to establish a regular payment of child support, you should consult an attorney prior to taking your case before the Court, even if you and the non-custodial parent have already agreed to a monthly sum. The intervention of an attorney becomes even more important if you and your former partner cannot come to terms on a child support figure, as they will aid you in petitioning the Court to set an amount.

What is child support, and what does it cover?

Child support is assistance, usually financial, which is owed by parents to and for the child’s benefit. Child support covers basic necessities (food, clothing shelter), medical care, uninsured medical expenses, educational fees, childcare, transportation/travel, entertainment, extracurricular activities, and college expenses.

How long does child support last?

In Georgia, child support generally continues until the child turns 18. However, child support can be extended past age 18 under certain circumstances. For instance, if the child is still in high school past age 18, support will continue until the child finishes high school or reaches age 20.

Child support ends when the child:

  • Reaches the age of majority
  • Gets married
  • Dies
  • Is emancipated
  • Joins the military
  • The obligated parent dies
  • The parent who is the child’s legal custodian dies
  • Or the obligated parent acquires legal custody of the child

What are Georgia’s child support guidelines? How is child support calculated?

In 2007, Georgia’s new child support guidelines became effective. Georgia now uses a “Income Shares Model” in child support looks at both of the parents’ income to determine how much child support the noncustodial parent will be ordered to pay.

The court determines both parents’ gross income, which includes both parents’ salary, commissions, self-employment income, bonuses, overtime pay, severance pay, pension and retirement income, interest income, dividend income, trust income, worker’s compensation benefits, and other sources of income. Before 2007 in Georgia, child support was calculated based on only the non-custodial parent’s gross income.

The Georgia Commission on Child Support provides an online calculator and two Excel calculators to find child support calculations.

However, Georgia’s Child Support Guidelines are just guidelines, and the court may increase or decrease the child support order based on individual circumstances and the child’s best interest. Factors include:

  • High Income of the parents
  • Low Income of the non-custodial parent
  • Health related insurance
  • Life Insurance
  • Child and dependent care tax credit
  • Travel expenses
  • Alimony
  • Mortgage
  • Permanency plan or foster care plan
  • Extraordinary expenses, such as medical conditions or education expenses
  • Actual parenting time

What if the child’s other parent doesn’t pay?

In the event of the obligor failing or refusing to pay the court ordered monthly sum, a number of measures can be taken to ensure the continued delivery of child support to the obligee. These include the following:

  • Wage garnishment – Should the obligor continually fail to deliver child support, a portion of his or her wages can be withheld by the court and passed on to the custodial parent. This is generally referred to as “wage garnishment” and while effective, can be somewhat difficult to secure. Georgia parents hoping to resolve unpaid child support in this manner should seek the help of Caryn S. Fennell to ensure wage garnishment is both obtained and maintained throughout the development of the child.
  • License suspension – The Court has the power to suspend the driver’s license of any parent who fails to meet child support payments assigned by the court. In extreme cases, the paying parent may even see their license revoked. The suspension or revocation of a license is recognized as an extreme measure and the Georgia Division of Child Support Services has recently introduced a number of alternatives, but custodial parents may sometimes find it necessary in order to ensure continuous monthly payments.
  • Contempt – If an obligor regularly refuses to pay the child support sum decided upon by a judge, he or she can be held in contempt of court and a jail sentence is almost a certainty. Again, this is an extreme measure and custodial parents considering pursuing a ruling of contempt should consult an attorney before choosing to proceed. At The Law Firm of Caryn S. Fennell, the well-being of the child is our primary concern. We will help you explore alternative methods of securing payment in order to avoid the child being without one parent. However, if we believe the obligor being held in contempt of court is in the best interest of the child and custodial parent, we will do everything in our power to ensure the Court comes to the same conclusion.

A final word

The issue of child support can create tension between the parents of the child in question. Observing their parents embroiled in a court battle can cause the child a great deal of stress and affect their confidence and relationships in later life, so disagreements pertaining to child support should be solved in as timely a matter as possible. The Law Firm of Caryn S. Fennell can be relied upon to ensure a quick resolution to all child support disputes and will ensure a monthly sum is established and paid without fail. Call our law firm today at (770) 479-0248 for a free consultation.